top of page

How to Qualify for the Subclass 191 Visa: A Guide for Those Wanting to Live Permanently in Australia

In this blog today, we will be discussing the permanent visa subclass 191 in the Regional Provisional Stream. The subclass 191 visa allows individuals holding a 491 Skilled Work Regional Provisional visa or 494 Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa to reside permanently in Australia.

Let’s delve into the requirements for this visa.

As the Visa Applicant, you must:

  • Hold a qualifying visa for at least 3 years prior to the 191 visa application. The qualifying visas are:

  • Subclass 491 Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa; or

  • Subclass 494 Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa.

  • Please note that there is no minimum income requirement. You must provide notices of assessment issued by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) for three income years out of the five years of your eligible visa.

  • Applicant must meet relevant health and character criteria, including any family members holding the same qualifying visa as a dependent.

You and your family members must have complied with the conditions on your 491 or 494 visa. These conditions are:

Condition 8578

You must notify the Department of Home Affairs within 14 days if any of the following change while you are in Australia on this visa:

  • The address where you live

  • Your email address

  • Your phone number

  • Your passport details, including your name

  • Your employer's address

  • The address where you work.

Condition 8579

While you are in Australia, you must live, study, and work in an area that is on the list of designated regional areas in an instrument.

If you hold a subclass 491 visa, the area must have been on the list of designated regional areas on the date we granted your visa.

If you hold a subclass 494 visa and you are a primary visa holder, the area must have been on the list of designated regional areas when your employer lodged your most recently approved nomination.

If you hold a subclass 494 visa and you are a secondary visa holder, the area must have been on the list of designated regional areas when the primary visa holder's most recently approved nomination was lodged by their employer.

Condition 8580

If the Department sends you a letter asking you to, you must provide them with evidence of:

  • The address where you live

  • The address of all your employers

  • The addresses where you work

  • The address of any school, college, or university that you attend.

The letter will tell you what sort of evidence we need and how you should send it to us.

We might ask for evidence of all your addresses or only some of your addresses.

You will have 28 days to provide us with the evidence we have asked for.

Condition 8581

The Department of Home Affairs might ask you to attend an interview at a specific address, or they might conduct the interview over the phone or the Internet. The letter will contain the details of the interview time and how or where you must attend.

Condition 8608

There is a condition of 8608 on 494 visa holders:

As per this condition, you must work only in the occupation nominated in your most recent Subclass 494 (Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional)) visa application. You cannot work in a different occupation unless you apply for and are granted a new Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa. If you want to change your employer, your new proposed employer must get a nomination approved before you can start work for them.

Based on the recent 191 grants that we have received, the Department is taking anything from a few days to 3 months to process this visa. If you have completed or are about to complete 3 years on a 491 or 494 visa, You may want to get in touch with us for your Permanent Visa subclass 191.


The information shared by Nationwide Migration and Education on social media and blogs is for general informational purposes only. (The information is accurate at the time of publication but may be subject to change.) It is not legal or immigration advice and should not be relied upon as such.

If you need immigration advice specific to your circumstances, please book a consultation with our Registered Migration Agent.

68 views0 comments


bottom of page